Thursday, July 10, 2014

I had a small chat with my colleague a.k.a my lunch buddy over lunch today about our jobs. The both of us were whining about how meaningless our jobs are. She has never liked the job since day one because she has a law degree but it is not good enough to take the bar here (The stupid thing about law in Singapore is the law itself) and she really is unable to comprehend the purpose of staying there. On the other hand, I like the job. I've always seen law as a way to give back to society but I've been rebutted countless of times by seniors, lawyers, colleagues and well, probably everyone, that law has never been a helping-the-society job.

I enjoy my work because it is law, but I had never intended to stay as a paralegal my whole life. I don't wish to sit there drafting and filing documents to court all the time. I don't wish to prepare thick bundles of documents or authorities my whole life (bundles have been the cause of my bad headache and OT this week). It is mundane and repetitive. But no matter how much I complain, that degree seems so far.

So what if we obtain the law degree? We might not even get to take the bar and practice here, or be good lawyers.

Maybe it's time for an ambition change...

No comments:

Post a Comment